Doctrinal sermon preached by Rev. Joshua Hall on October 21, 2018, at Sparta Reformed Presbyterian Church.
“God told me to marry you.” With these words one of my relatives persuaded the man she would marry to take her on a date. Here’s another claim I once heard, “God told me to buy that homeless man some cigarettes, he was suffering.” Another friend of mine prayed about buying a car. He bought an 8 passenger van for his family of 3 because he claimed that God told him to. Joseph Smith claimed to have heard a voice from God through an angel telling him to write down the Book of Mormon. Some who call themselves Christians claim that God has told them He no longer condemns homosexuality. One denominations slogan is “God is still speaking” and their primary application is that God has loosened his laws and become more tolerant of alternative lifestyles which he formerly condemned. So I ask, how can we know for sure what is and what isn’t the voice of God? Does God still speak today? And if so, how?
In Christ we have the only true revelation of God, so let us trust in God’s Word given in the scriptures as the only infallible revelation of truth.
- God always has and always will speak primarily through Christ, so let us trust in God’s Word given in the scriptures as the only infallible revelation of truth.
- God spoke formerly through prophets, even then it was mediated.
- But now he speaks through His Son, the prophetic office has been fulfilled in Christ, there are no other prophets today.
- Christ is the heir of all things – All Authority, Throne, Decrees/Law
- Christ is the revelation of God in Creation – John 1, Word through whom God created now become flesh
- Christ is qualified to reveal God because He is the exact imprint of God’s nature, the radiance of God’s glory (the part which is seen, communicated), upholds the world through the Word of His power (decrees)
- He made purification for sins (source of Gospel, actor/revealer of God’s divine plan of redemption.
- Sat down at the right hand of God – ascension, very God
- Far superior to angels (messengers of God), because he is God and is the best, complete, only true revelation of God. He is the very Word of God.
- Satan (and his prophets) come as an angel of light to offer an alternative to Christ, so let us trust in God’s Word given in the scriptures as the only infallible revelation of truth.
- II Cor. 11:12-15
- The desires of our deceptive flesh are set against the leading of the Holy Spirit, so let us trust in God’s Word given in the scriptures as the only infallible revelation of truth.
- II Tim. 4:3-4