Lecture Given by Pastor Joshua Hall at Sparta Reformed Presbyterian Church during the evening service on December 2nd, 2018.
In our Sunday evening services for the next few weeks, I intend to cover some doctrinal issues. In each lesson, I will be referring to multiple scriptures and discussing multiple philosophical and theological views in the light of those scriptures. The question I want us to ask tonight is, how can we know God? As we read our text, let us consider how Jesus instructed the disciples to know God.
Sinful Tendencies: Satan, the world and the flesh tempt us to try to know God apart from His appointed means, with disastrous results.
Proposition: We know the Father through the revelation of the Son, given generally in the creation and specifically in the scriptures, illuminated by the Holy Spirit.
- Knowing the Father – Only through the Son, Jesus
- Jesus reveals the Father
- Jesus works for the Father
- Knowing the Son, Jesus – Only through Spirit and Word
- Jesus Initiates Relationship
- Spirit Applies Relationship
- We Respond in Relationship
- Knowing the Spirit – Only through Word
- General Revelation
- Special Revelation
- Stoicism – New Agers – Pantheism, Panentheism – Pagan Immanence
- Epicureanism – Deism – Atheism – Pagan Transcendence
- Platonism – Monotheistic – Pagan Transcendence