Sermon preached by Pastor Joshua Hall at Sparta Reformed Presbyterian Church during the morning service on January 6th, 2019.
We are about to read the text of scripture where God gives the sign of His covenant with Abraham, the sign of circumcision. Does this sign apply to us in the age of the church? Well, Paul tells us that we who are Christians have all been circumcised. You heard me right, listen to Colossians 2:11-12: “In him also you were circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, having been buried with him in baptism.” Let us then listen carefully to Genesis 17 as we read about the Abrahamic covenant knowing that through Christ, it still applies to us today.
- God’s Salvation Covenant was Established in Abraham
- God’s Covenant Appearance
- God’s Covenant Promises
- God’s Covenant Provisions
- God’s Covenant Proviso
- God’s Salvation Covenant was Fulfilled in Christ
- Are we part of the covenant with Abraham?
- Then must we be circumcised?
- Then what role do the sacraments play in our salvation?
- It is Christ who fulfilled the law perfectly, and all the requirements of circumcision, so now we are baptized to show that our faith is in Christ’s fulfillment of the law on our behalf.
- Who was circumcised?